Complying with choice of brand in co-badging
(European Regulation 2015/751, Article 8, paragraph 6)
European regulation requires each payee ("merchant") located in Europe and accepting card payments issued within the European Union, to allow the payer ("end customer") the choice of the brand to use when the payment is made using a card issued in Europe and including several brands accepted by the payee.
Actions to be taken differ depending on technical implementation (DirectLink or eCom) and card brands accepted by merchants. All card brands are visible on the Card brands page.
Merchants using API (DirectLink)
- Must adapt their payment pages to allow their customers to make a choice of brand in case of EU co-badged card*.
- Must send only to the Ingenico platform, the brand chosen by their customers in case of EU co-badged card or any brand matching the card details in any other case.
Merchants using URL Redirect (eCom)
- Should adapt their payment selection pages to allow their customers to make a choice of brand if merchants are accepting any brands outside Visa, MasterCard and Amex
- Should send only to the Ingenico platform, the brand chosen by their customers in case of EU co-badged card or brand under which merchant would like the transaction to be processed in other cases.
- If merchants are not sending a brand, platform will present a selection page to the payer to allow choice of brand and guarantee compliance**.
*For ease of implementation, merchants are advised to adapt the page regardless of country of issuance and brand used.
**For any transaction where BRAND field is empty or filled with incorrect brand, Ingenico will present an intermediate page to the payers for them to express their choice of brand or generate an error message. In order to keep control of customer user experience, merchants are strongly advised to specify the brand to be used.